Build high for happiness! We’re looking for Ice Hot artists. Cutaway Comics open artist submission for Paradise Towers mini-series
Cutaway Comics, Manchester’s comic imprint exploring creator owned properties from Doctor Who is inviting artists to submit their work for the chance to become the series artist for their upcoming title, Paradise Towers: Paradise Found.
Expanding on events seen in the Doctor Who serial ‘Paradise Towers’, Paradise Found returns to the nightmarish high-rise block where killer cleaning robots, impractically precise caretakers and the Kangs, feral gangs of teenagers, inhabit.
Publisher Gareth Kavanagh says: “Build high for happiness! This is a great opportunity for someone to have fun with a great property. We are looking for a series artist to bring this urban universe to life. Think decaying inner-city towers, graffiti culture and architecture gone wrong.
This is your chance to get on our radar, so we’re looking for action-adventure styles of art rather than humour, or cartoon-based art. It’s a great paid opportunity for someone to draw a four part US style mini series which will be read round the world.”
Key thematic references include The Thirteenth Floor, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Judge Dredd Block Wars and Mad Max.
If you are unfamiliar with the world of Paradise Towers or want a flavour of what is to come, we recommend dusting off your DVD of this early 7th Doctor story. Next, if the opportunity appeals we would love to hear from you at email@example.com with examples of your work.
Shortlisted candidates will then be issued with a short script written by Sean Mason, Chief Architect for the series and we are ideally expecting you to illustrate this script as your submission.
How to send us your work:
- Read carefully the spec script - this is the tone and feel of the series.
- As there is no fee for your submission, there’s no pressure to draw the whole script, but we do need to have a sense of how you would approach the work. Ideally, you’ll illustrate the spec script and send this to us. If not, you can submit up to three pages of a completed script akin to this tone.
- Please include the pencils and inks of at least one of your pages.
- Colour samples can be included - the series will be in full colour, but we’re happy to commission pencil/inks separately to colours.
- Please include a short biography with your submission including any published work, indication of your page rates and your realistic lead time on delivering completed pages.
- References would be appreciated, we’re especially keen to get a sense of your speed of work and ability to work to deadlines.
- Your submission requires that you have read and accepted the terms and conditions, so please do read them on our website prior to sending us your submission.
- Send artwork to ensuring your email has the subject 'Paradise Found Submission'.
The deadline for submissions is Friday 15th January 2021, 23:59 BST.
Cutaway Comics will respond to each submission, that’s a promise. We will announce the successful artist shortly after this date once we’ve made contact with them. We would be ideally looking for a late January start and to have at least all of issue 1 complete by the time of the Kickstarter in April 2021.
The successful candidate will also be asked to work up the audition script into completed pages which will be used as a companion piece to the series.
Good luck! And remember; if you’re not successful this time, there will be other opportunities to work with us. We’re always on the lookout for cover artists and backup strip artists.